Thursday, April 9, 2015

Backward Tech

When I did technical support, I was competent enough at doing computer work with minimal supervision. We do it for a living; so we try to learn as much as we could. It would be embarrassing if we didn't. But that was 2006.

2015. Three operating systems later, despite XP still being used by many people, I am turning into one of those customers I spoke with on the phone, who have very minimal knowledge of how computers work, that make representatives cry on their desks. I understand now. I don't get these all that much now.

My laptop runs Windows 8.1, and it's running very slow probably due to the malware I accidentally downloaded when I was installing a software that won't ever be used anyway. 

I asked the girlfriend about Windows components, which she also forgot. I was also looking for hidden files to manually remove the malware.

Editing has made my troubleshooting skills rusty, and so I had to do research about how to do something that was very intuitive ten years ago.

Maybe if I was using XP, it would have been easier; plus I am getting a bit older and more impatient to learn new programs.

Another sign of aging: recalcitrance.


No comments:

Post a Comment